Tuesday, March 25, 2014

#2 Of A Scruple Popping Up and Getting Squashed Down


Sitting on the subway and a homeless person walks on. Actually, two homeless people- no, three, four, five, six…….a whole subway car filled with homeless people.

And me.

It smells. Some smell really bad and some not at all. Some are asking for money and then they start to realize that everyone else is homeless so they can’t give each other money but start to discuss how they have , or have not, made money on the subway, or sidewalk or stairs leading out of the subway station or stairs going down into a subway station.  They all start to talk to each other and trade stories and trade sandwiches and trade ideas.

One guy who is particularly well dressed starts talking about how overcrowded the city shelter system is. I do a double- take because he is really well dressed. He has one of those fancy navy blue, J. Crew pea coats with horn toggle buttons and clean suede loafers. Really fancy, like Cole-Haan’s, with pink rubbery soles.  His hair is well groomed as is his complexion and he is wearing very stylish glasses.

Very snazzy.

I ask myself, “is he really homeless? He is very well spoken.” And then I stop myself and realize that I am judging, or misjudging, this man on his homeless status based on his good grooming and spiffy attire.

This is unfair of me.

Then a little girl gets on with her mom. She is about 5 and is super cute. She has something like 2 pieces of electrical tape on her sweatshirt and it looks like the letter T or t. Then she moves it around and it looks like an x. I am sort of impressed that her mom came up with this innovative sticker concept. The kid is adorable and is happily bobbing up and down while she rearranges the sticker/tape to make other designs. Very clever, I think to myself. 

The tape is blue and durable.

Then the kids’ mom says aloud,

“Hello. I am sorry to bother everyone today. You see, I am homeless and my daughter and I are just trying to get something to eat or find a place to sleep. If you can find it in your heart to give us anything, a sandwich, a dime, a smile, we would be so grateful.  And if you cannot give anything, god- bless you and thank you.
Have a nice day.”

So, I am stunned because this really sweet little girl -only a few feet away from me- is smiling and bobbing up and down while her mother is giving this awful speech about the state of their lives. The girl could hear everything her mom said and I imagine that she has already heard the same speech several times already today, at least.

Then I think, is this an act? Does she coach the kid into acting adorable to make more money? Then I stop myself because that feels like a deeply disturbing thought to have, even for a jaded New Yorker who rides the subway a lot and has seen a lot of homeless people.

Today there just seem to be quite a few more than usual, and of course this is distressing.

So, I open my wallet and take out a dollar and give it to the mom. She doesn’t thank me (which has been the case with many homeless people I have given money to) and I try not to judge her for not being grateful that I opened my Longchamp bag and gave her a dollar bill.  However, she does look at me squarely in the eye and I see that her eyes look lifeless, dead. She is large and her hair is messy. She isn’t nearly as pretty as her daughter and I wonder for a moment if, in fact, it is her actual daughter or if this is, as mentioned earlier, an act.

I decide to not overthink it and I don’t even care how she uses the dollar.

It’s none of my business.


















No comments:

Post a Comment