Friday, February 27, 2015

#74 My Parent's Keeper

Essie called La Toya on her cell phone. They hadn't spoken before and when La Toya answered she heard some newish hip-hoppish stuff playing in the background. Essie wasn't sure if it was La Toya's voicemail or a live answer.
So, she hung up and called again. It went to a generic prerecorded voice message.

She called again.

"Hi. La Toya?" Essie's voice cracked with fear which surprised her.
"Yes."
"Hi. This is Essie. Abe and Louises' daughter. Is this an okay time to talk?"
"I'm in the car."
Visions of speaker phone or a woman driving with a cell in her hand made Essie uncomfortable.
"How about calling me when you have time?"
"I will call you when I'm home."
"Sounds perfect. Thanks!"

Essie felt confused and sad when she hung up the phone.
Waiting for La Toya to call. This person she never met.
This person her parents pay to take care of them now.
The Sitter.
It's all new and strange.

3 hours passed.

Her phone rings.

"Hi. It's La Toya. My phone lost its charge."
Essie tries to imagine a face. A child's voice echoes in the background. Where are they? What are they wearing?

"Hi La Toya!"
"What's your name again?"
"Essie"

Silence.

I just want to check in and see how it's going with my parents. I also want you to have my phone number. This is all new- my parents needing care. I'm glad they found you and like you. Would it be okay if we keep in touch? You let me know if they need more help and I'll see how things are going.

"Your dad is very helpful. I let him help me."
That sounds great. It's important to him that he feels useful.
(Oh my god. Did I just say that about my father?)

"We need to keep an eye out in case, or when, there is a need for increased level of care. Their safety is paramount."
"Of course. They are very nice."
Her voice is clear and deep, and though Essie knows she is young she sounds older.

Okay. Thank you so much for looking after them. They need help with cooking, grocery shopping. I know you know it all.

"I wasn't there today. My son had a doctors appointment that I forgot about. I'll be there tomorrow."

Great.
Essie suddenly feel like an untethered astronaut outside Apollo 13.

We will be in touch. Thank you.
"That sounds fine."

Essie hears her voice and she sounds just like her mother. She proudly puts down her phone and feels tears well up.

She doesn't cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment