Monday, September 5, 2016

#94 Christmas Ornaments and Summer Dreams

I remember opening a box of old ornaments. They were aligned perfectly: glass ball globes reflecting everything like tiny fun house mirrors. My face is bent in green, pink and red with tiny fish hooks coming from the top of my head. Some are broken like a tiny shark's mouth open and able to cut if handled wrong. They are from the 1960's and not valuable probably. There is a glued saying on some of them in script: "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" slanted across the center of the ball with a cute sled or ice skate underneath the cursive words. The words are white and resemble old calcified snow.

Some just have evergreen trees and dust.  About a half dozen boxes are stored in Gramm's basement filled with other holiday ornaments made by the boys, like a felt elf or a twisted candy cane made of pipe cleaners. They will be placed on the branches of the tree and I can't decide if I should throw out the old storage boxes which have classic vodka and whisky logos decorating the sides. Duct tape and masking tape has been reused over and over and no longer stick to the cardboard. It's time to consolidate the ornaments: the old and new in one box.

It's summer and I enter a pet food store and a large man is speaking loud, excited and fast. I glance over and see he has a wide band aide with cotton wedged underneath sticking out like fake snow. Recent blood work and a quick patch up job after it was done, I figure. I get on line with some cat treats and catch the tail end of his animated conversation with someone who exits. I realize that I want to block him out.

"Have a great day!" He says after them in a manic joyful tone.
He looks me over.
"You're a doctor!" (I'm wearing greenish baggy pants like scrubs).
"Nope!"
"You're a lawyer!"
"Nope!" I'm perplexed now. Where did that assessment come from.
I see he needs something from me.
"I'm in mental health."
I pray this is enough for him.

He has checked out and I put the cat treats on the counter and pull out cash to pay.

"There are a lot of people who need you!" He jokes.
I've heard this many times before and wonder, again, if he was recently hospitalized.
I smile.

"I was diagnosed with kidney cancer 2 years ago and today I had my most recent blood work and I am CANCER FREE!"
He is bursting with life. Bursting with panic joy exultation desire freedom. A gift for a boy on Christmas morning. He won the lottery today.
He will live.

"I'm so happy for you! Have a fantastic day!"
Inside my head I want to say more about myself and my life and my family and I don't. He floats out the door smiling ear to ear. I feel touched by a magical ornament that might break but is suspended like a fragile star giving off and reflecting life.

No comments:

Post a Comment