Wednesday, April 2, 2014

#14 With City Bus, Sequined Dress and Jar of Marmalade


Get into the groove
Boy you’ve got to prove
Your love to me
Get up on your feet
And step to the beat
Boy what will it be?
Live out your fantasy here with me
Just let the music set you free
Touch my body and move in time
Now I know your mine

That Madonna song never grows old.

He was standing and she sat in front of him with her iphone and transparent cosmetic case balanced precariously on her backpack. The backpack was perched on her lap and in between sentences and applying mascara, she multitasked further by holding a conversation and singing.

I could only see him from behind but from what I could tell he was wearing outdated, oversized, faded designer jeans bagged around his knees and rear end. It was not a flattering look complete with his imitation Converse basketball shoes, pimply neckline and glasses. From what I could glimpse of his momentary profile, I could tell that he was young. Maybe 16.

I figured that he was: A) interested in her, or B) just passing time and was nervous in her presence even though they have been going to school together for years.
“The Regents are coming up next week.”
“My throat is killing me. I am sick of homework.”
“It is sick how much homework they are giving us. Especially with Physics Regents.”

Her black sequined mini-dress or skirt was visible from where I sat. I detected black opaque tights and well worn, semi-unlaced black army boots.  Her hair was long and I think intentionally unwieldy.

She took out her lipstick, a stunning dark red which I don’t want to spoil by naming it crimson. That would not do it justice.

She started to sing.

“I am a high upper 3-octave range singer. That’s pretty good for my age. Beyonce is is upper 5 octave.”
“I didn’t know that.”
She began applying her lipstick with the precision of a Flemish Renaissance painter. Tiny brush strokes, without a brush, only the tube applicator.  Short, precise and careful strokes covered her lips as she looked carefully into her Sephora pocket mirror.

Nothing had fallen off her lap yet.

She continued to sing. Hitting some high notes. It wasn’t loud, but she was working on her vocals as if she needed to make up for lost time, but in a lazy sort of way.

He looked awkward and then was the announcement about the train going express from Grand Central to Union Square.
“Are you getting off?” She asked.
“No. I am staying on.”
I couldn’t tell if she was disappointed or mostly indifferent to this information.
“I’m staying on.” He repeated. “Maybe I’ll get the bus later.”
“They take forever.”
“Not at 14th Street.”
“Oh.” She looked even more disinterested and started singing again.

She finished up her lipstick application and he turned his head and I saw the pimples and his glasses more clearly. I sort of worried that he might have had an erection in those baggy pants and I was embarrassed for him as he was standing right in front of her. I know that sounds bad, but he was so young and she was so aloof and somehow I sensed he was attracted to her in that unrequited teen lust way, which makes me sad when I see teen movies. Then she took out a glass container, which resembled a tiny jar of marmalade, and twisted off the cap and proficiently applied hand cream.

It had a strong floral scent.

He got off at Union Square, I think. They said good-bye but I got the sense they would see each other again soon. He looked so young and she didn’t, but must’ve been, too.


She and I both got off at Bleeker and I was impressed by her long legs as she trotted down the steps to get the F, D or M train. I wondered if she was going to Brooklyn.


No comments:

Post a Comment