Sunday, April 20, 2014

#22 With Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

Let us be lovers we’ll marry our fortunes together
I’ve got some real estate here in my bag

Every time I speed past Newark airport I love to see the planes lined up in the sky headed for landing. Their lights shimmer like wasps intent on a place to sting. Focus and land with precision. Making their mark as they move in closer and closer their headlights piercing the sky, they descend safely touching down with soft heel and toe movement. Naturally landing as if they really are birds and not machines.  With such beauty and precision 

touch down

From the New Jersey Turnpike I always think about making a quick detour so I can hop on El Al, Continental, KLM and find myself transported to another place. Exotic and desirable.

Far away

“Kathy, I’m lost” I said, though I knew she was sleeping
“I’m empty and aching and I don’t know why”
It took me four days to hitch hike from Saginaw
I’ve gone to look for America

Arranged around terminals. Settling in before their next flight
Waiting to depart
looking nice and pretty with colorful tails

Toss me a cigarette I think there’s one in my raincoat
We smoked the last one an hour ago
So I looked at the scenery
She read her magazine
And the moon rose over an open field.

Right over my head I can reach up and touch its belly with my finger

Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
They’ve all gone to look for
America













No comments:

Post a Comment